22 August, 2007

Matthew11:28-30

" 'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.' " - Holy Bible, New International Version

" 'Come to me, all of you who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke and put it on you, and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit; and you will find rest. For the yoke I will give you is easy, and the load I will put on you is light.' " - New Life Good News Bible

I had to blog this down, lest I forget.
We all proclaim the consistency of the Bible, but here's an example of consistency between translations. Here we have two versions of the Bible, but in both cases, the word yoke is used.
I wondered, "what's so significant about the word yoke?" so i searched up the word (click on link to see my search results).
what I discovered is the complexity and profound-ness of message in so simple a 3 verses. In the usage of the word yoke, the Bible has conveyed a few points across.

1) the most obvious one, is that Jesus is letting you carry His burdens, and because He has none, "the yoke I will give you is easy, ..."
2) yoke also means authority. in accepting His yoke ("Take my yoke upon you/and put it on you..") we are submitting to His authority, his will. it dictates, it proclaims, it reiterates, the fact that we are submitting, with humility, into his servitude, as created to Creator. (and i mean all this in a positive manner)
3) in that same phrase, yoke also takes on the meaning of join, coupled. This highlights the fact that in coming to Christ, it's more than merely coming to Him, you're accepting Him into YOUR life; just as you let the Holy Spirit enter and work with you, such is the case when you take upon His yoke.

I know i've oversimplified. I know my expression may be found wanting. But these are my views. And I'm so happy I've found it I HAVE to share it with the world.. (the world that reads my blog anyway). I guess I gotta start asking people to reread Matthews 11:28-30 =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home